CC 07 and 08

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I read CC 07 and 08, both relating to displaying signage and artifacts from multilingual families. I learned how we can make families feel more welcome and empower them to become more involved in school affairs. I hadn’t thought too deeply about the safety aspect mentioned in the brief. I go over safety procedures with students but it would help parents to know this as well. I can see how a well-meaning staff member might question an adult using the wrong door or hallway and make that parent with limited English confused and feel unwelcome. This can be a bit of a challenge at Meehan as the school has a fairly unique layout. There are signs in English but English speakers are still sometimes confused about where to go. Perhaps we will need to walk the school with fresh eyes and see it through the lens of a multilingual family. Then we can assess what signage is needed.

In reading CC08 I learned about how the signs and cultural artifacts can create a sense of emotional comfort for students. The languages presented give the families a feeling of belonging and power.Multilingual families will see they are valued. I liked the idea of also including student works, books in other languages, and art and famous people from other cultures in the school. I feel like this, in addition to the flags, would be a great way to show students and families that they are valued members of the school community.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.